Ensuring your roof’s continued service means taking proper care of it. Your roof is not just a functional component of your home; it’s an investment. By proactively maintaining your roof, you not only extend its life span but also protect the overall integrity and safety of your home. Earl W. Johnston Roofing, your trusted roofing partner, provides eight tips that can help maximize your roof’s life span.
- Schedule regular inspections. Have your roof inspected at least twice a year, preferably in the spring and fall. Doing your own inspections is perfectly fine if you know what to look for — signs of damage, missing components and curling shingles, among others. If you don’t, a professional can identify minor issues and come up with an action plan to prevent them from turning into bigger problems.
- Keep your gutters clean. Clogged gutters can lead to water backup, which can damage your roof through infiltration from the edges. Clean your gutters and downspouts regularly to ensure proper water drainage and reduce the risk of damage to your roof.
- Trim overhanging branches. If you have trees on your property, pay attention to how close the branches are to the rooftop. Overhanging tree branches can rub against your roof, causing shingle damage by scratching the protective granule layer or coating. Trim back any branches that are too close to your roof to prevent unnecessary wear and tear.
- Fix attic ventilation issues. You can easily tell if your attic is poorly-ventilated: you’d feel barely any airflow and the air would feel hot and humid. Poor ventilation can lead to moisture buildup that can cause your roof’s framing to rot. Humid air can also cause damage to the insulation, as well as encourage mold growth. Your roofer can determine whether your roof will need additional vents or exhaust fans.
- Don’t ignore signs of leaks. Roofing leaks often do not exhibit signs until they get worse. This means signs like water stains on the ceiling indicate your roof has been leaking for some time. Continued exposure to the elements will only worsen an already bad leak, so if you notice such signs, try to have the roof fixed as soon as possible.
Earl W. Johnston Roofing provides roofing services to communities in Pembroke Pines, Coral Springs and Hollywood, FL. Learn more about what we can do for your roof by giving us a call at (954) 989-7794. You can also fill out our contact form to schedule a consultation.